Recently I presented to the iThemes Training community about online courses, and some tactics you can use to create a successful online course.
I will admit that coming up with a presentation about online courses that applies to most situations is a bit of a daunting task. If I have learned one thing since LearnDash first started it is that everyone defines their learning program objectives and goals differently.
Because of this I decided to focus my attention onto emerging instructional design trends. Instructional design is universal no matter what the goal is for a learning program. Those three areas being micro-content, gamification, and personalizing of content.
Each one of these trends could have a full presentation alone, so what I cover is mainly at a high-level. However, I made a point to provide you with actionable takeaways so that you could take advantage of these trends today. There is a little theory involved but only to the extent of validating the concepts.
The entire presentation is roughly an hour and at the end there is a short question and answer worth listening to as the attendees had some really great questions related to the content.
Below are some of the resources mentioned in the presentation.
- http://www.learndash.com/3-levels – 3 Levels of Gamification
- http://www.learndash.com/gamification-case-study – direct link to the webinar replay of a gamification case study
- http://thegreatecourseadventure.com – The featured program of the case study.
- http://www.duolingo.com – Example of a site doing Gamification correctly.
- http://canva.com and http://piktochart.com – Tools for creating infographics
- http://coursesworthsharing.com – Live example of a site implementing these tips
- http://www.learndash.com/3-keys – Presentation slides