LearnDash is a WordPress learning management system (LMS) trusted by companies, universities, training organizations, and entrepreneurs worldwide for creating (and selling) their online courses.
The structure and delivery of LearnDash courses is based on instructional design principles used in learning programs at Fortune 500 companies:
- The top-level is “Courses”.
- Below that you have “Lessons”. Lessons are assigned to Courses. Lessons can optionally be grouped into “Sections”.
- Below Lessons you have “Topics”. Topics are assigned to Lessons just like Lessons are assigned to Courses.
- Finally, there are “Quizzes”. Quizzes can be assigned to a Course, Lesson or Topic.
The terminology can be changed using custom labels, but the general structure remains the same. For example, “Lessons” can be renamed “Modules,” “Quizzes” can be renamed to “Tests,” and so on.
The software itself has a variety of options, and you also have the ability to add functionality using free and paid add-ons. For optimal performance (and a decreased risk of compatibility issues) we recommend only installing the add-ons that you need.
How LearnDash Modifies WordPress
Upon activating LearnDash, several items are added to your site in order for it to function properly:
- New menu items, custom post types and taxonomies for courses, lessons, topics, quizzes, questions, assignments and essays
- New widgets & shortcodes
- New database tables
- Group Leader user role