The topic content & display settings provide a way for you to use additional content in your topic, as well as make it a little more interactive. You can include additional topic materials, add some helpful logic to your video playback, allow users to upload assignments, and include a topic timer.
Table of Contents
- 1 Locating Topic Display & Content Settings
- 2 Topic Materials
- 3 Video Progression
- 4 Assignment Uploads
- 5 Topic Timer
- 6 Topic Access Settings
Locating Topic Display & Content Settings
- Navigate to LEARNDASH LMS > TOPICS
- Click on the topic you want to edit
- Click on the Settings tab at the top of the page
- Locate the section titled “Display & Content Options”
Topic materials are supplemental materials needed for the topic. It is most common to include PDF files or other downloadable files in this area, but you can include anything you’d like (PDFs, images, downloadable audio files, links to other websites, etc.).
- Next to Topic Materials, turn the setting on
- Add your materials in the box (HTML is supported)
Topic materials are displayed to your users in a separate tab, alongside your main topic content.
Between video progression, assignment uploads & topic timer, only one of the three can be enabled at a time. Enabling one of these options will make the other two inaccessible.
Video progression is a way to require users to watch the entirety of a video before they can complete the topic. Please see our full guide on video progression.
Assignment uploads cannot be enabled if either video progression or topic timer are enabled.
To allow users to upload assignments to the topic, enable the Assignment Uploads option. You’ll be presented with a few additional options:
You can specify exactly which file types may be uploaded.
- Enter each allowed file type in the box (without the leading
- Separate multiple file types with a comma
- Leave blank to allow any file type to be uploaded
For example, enter the following to allow only Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint files:
doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx
File size limit
You can specify the maximum file size allowed to be uploaded.
- Enter a number, followed by
For example, to limit uploads to 5 megabytes, enter
Your host also sets a maximum file size limit. The lower limit will always be used. If you’re having trouble receiving assignment uploads, you can contact your host and ask them to increase your maximum file upload size.
If you’d like to award points to a user when they submit an assignment:
- Next to Points, turn the setting on
- Enter the number of points to be awarded for a submitted assignment
There are two options for how assignments are graded:
- Auto-approve (default)
No grading or approval is needed. The assignment will be automatically approved & full points will be awarded.
- Manually approve
An admin or group leader must approve the assignment. The topic cannot be completed until the assignment is approved.
If you choose to manually approve an assignment, you have additional options:
Limit number of uploaded assignments
Enter a number in the box to specify the maximum number of files a user can upload for this assignment.
- Leave blank for unlimited (default)
Allow file deletion
Enable this option to allow the user to delete their own uploaded files. This is only possible up until the assignment has been approved.
Enabling a topic timer will require the user to spend a certain amount of time on the topic page before they can mark it complete. The topic cannot be completed until the set time has elapsed.
- Next to Topic Timer, turn the setting on
- Enter the time in the following format:
SS(hours : minutes : seconds)
Topic Access Settings
These settings determines how the topics are accessed by the user. You may opt to associate your topics to a course, a lesson, and create a release schedule to drip feed your content.
This setting allows you to associate/link your topic to a specific course. You can also do this using the course builder, but if you created a topic outside of a course, you can update this setting to associate it. The topic will reflect on the course builder.
- Next to Associated Course, click inside the drop-down
- Search for and select the name of the course
- Click on the course to associate your current topic with the course
This setting allows you to associated/link your topic to a specific lesson. You can do this while building the course and lessons, but if you created the topic outside of a course or lesson, you can update this setting to associate it. The topic will reflect on the course builder.
- Next to Associated Lesson, click inside the drop-down
- Search for and select the name of the lesson
- Click on the lesson to associate your current topic with the course
Any changes in the association that you make on the course builder on the specific course or lesson, for this topic will also reflect the changes here.
Topic Release Schedule
You can drip feed your topics to your users using this option. You have three choices:
- Immediately – The topic is made available upon course enrollment
- Enrollment-based – The topic will be available x-number of days after the user has enrolled in the course.
- Specific date – The topic will be available on a specified date