This feature comes with LearnDash version 4.0. Please ensure that you are running the correct LearnDash version to use this feature.
If not, update to the latest version by following our guide here.
The Stripe Connect integration is one of the simplest ways to start selling your LearnDash courses. Stripe is also one of the easiest payment gateways to set up, and their processing fees are on par with most other gateways.
If you don’t already have a Stripe account, you can set one up during the connection process. Stripe is not available in all countries. View available countries »
Table of Contents
Who Should Use Stripe Connect?
You should consider using the Stripe Connect integration if:
✅ You want to easily start accepting secure credit card payments on your site for LearnDash content
✅ You don’t want to spend time creating an entire checkout experience for your users
Connect Your Stripe Account
- Navigate to LEARNDASH LMS > Settings
- Click on the Payments Tab
- Click the Stripe Connect link
- Click on Connect Stripe
- You will be redirected to Stripe’s page to sign in to your Stripe Account or create a new account.
- After you are returned back to your WP admin dashboard, you should see a box with further instructions on how to configure the webhook in the Stripe dashboard.
Even with Stripe Connect, there are still a few settings that you need to fill out in order for this integration to work correctly.
Test Mode / Live Mode
- Test mode should be used when you’re still testing your site internally. No money will actually change hands, but Stripe will record if the transaction succeeded or failed.
- Live mode should be used when you’re ready to launch your course. All transactions in this mode are real transactions, and money will exchange hands. Once you’ve launched your site, you should stay in live mode indefinitely.
Currently, we offer 2 types of payment methods: Credit Card and Ideal
If the Credit Card option is not already selected, please make sure to enable that and save your changes.
is an auto-generated URL. This URL needs to be pasted to your Stripe account’s webhook settings.
Add a Stripe Webhook
- Login to your Stripe account and navigate to https://dashboard.stripe.com/webhooks
- Click the Add endpoint button
- From your WordPress dashboard, navigate to LEARNDASH LMS > SETTINGS > PAYMENTS > STRIPE CONNECT and copy the auto-generated Webhook URL
- Back in Stripe, paste the Webhook URL you copied into the Endpoint URL field
- For Version, select the latest API version
- Under Events to send, enable ONLY the following events:
If you’re having problems with duplicated users after a failed payment or cancelled transaction, you can also include the following events.
- Click Add endpoint
Return URL (optional)
If no return URL is provided, the user will remain on the course page after their transaction is processed.
But you can choose to send the user to a confirmation page instead. This can be a page you create on your site, with WordPress, a page builder, etc. Or even a page on a completely different domain. It’s entirely up to you.
Enter the full URL, beginning with
After you’ve configured your Stripe for LearnDash settings, the final thing you need to do is set up your course to accept payments.
- In the WordPress admin area, navigate to LEARNDASH LMS > COURSES
- Click on the course you’d like to sell with Stripe
- Click on Settings at the top
- Scroll down to Course Access Settings
- Set the “Access Mode” to one of two values:
- Buy Now: Use “Buy Now” for one-time payments
- Recurring: Use “Recurring” if you’d like to set up a recurring payment (aka: subscription)
And finally, enter your price in the Course Price field. Ex:
- The currency symbol will be added automatically for you
- If your price is an even dollar amount, you may omit the decimal point & cents (ex:
For recurring payments, you need to include the “Billing Cycle” in days, weeks, months or years.
The User Experience
When users visit your course page, they will see a “Take This Course” button (this language can be customized using custom labels).
When a user clicks the purchase button, they will be taken to a secure checkout page (that is hosted on Stripe’s secure servers), where they can enter payment details and complete their purchase.
After payment is complete, a new user account is automatically created, and that user is enrolled into the course they just purchased.
Existing website users must first be logged in before purchasing another course via Stripe to prevent duplicate customer account creation in Stripe, or failed transactions on the customer’s end.
Can I use both PayPal AND Stripe?
Yes. You will need to configure the PayPal settings within LearnDash, but once you’ve added that information, along with all the Stripe information, users will be presented with two options when they click the “Take This Course” button. It will look like this:
(design may vary based on your theme)
When will I receive my money?
This is determined by your settings in Stripe. Please reference Stripe’s documentation on payouts.
Can I set up recurring payments (aka: subscriptions)?
Yes. In the course settings, just set your “Access Mode” to “Recurring,” and choose a billing cycle.
Can I offer coupons or discounts?
Not at this time. Consider using one of our other ecommerce or membership add-ons.
How do I issue refunds and/or cancel subscriptions for my customers?
Issuing refunds and canceling subscriptions is done from your Stripe account.
Are users automatically removed from a course if they are issued a refund?
No. You can remove the course access from their profile.
How do I provide more checkout options or more customization to the process?
Consider using a robust checkout plugin such as WooCommerce and pair it with our LearnDash WooCommerce addon ( LearnDash LMS > Addons ).
What is the difference between Stripe Connect and Stripe addon?
The major difference between the two is that Stripe Connect is easier and quicker to get setup on your site. So you spend less time worrying about configuring options and more time focusing on what really matters. Additionally Stripe Connect is built into LearnDash, so you don’t have to worry about updating an additional plugin when using the Stripe addon plugin.
Can I still use the Stripe addon plugin on newer versions of LearnDash?
My “Take this Course” button is missing.
The most likely cause for this is that you don’t have any active payment methods configured in LearnDash LMS > Settings > Payments
If you have one of the payment methods active and configured properly and you are still not seeing the “Take this Course” button, please submit a support ticket with us and our team will be happy to investigate further.
My transactions are not going through.
Please make sure your webhook settings are configured correctly. In order for the webhook to work it needs to have at least these events active in your Stripe account:
I’m seeing a 500 HTTP and timeout error.
If you are seeing the above error when checking out, make sure that the webhook settings are configured to ONLY the following events (enabling all events will likely cause a timeout error).
I’m getting duplicate customer accounts created after an initial failed or cancelled transaction.
If you see duplicate customer accounts being created after an initial failed or cancelled transaction, and a subsequent successful purchase, you must have the following events enabled on your webhook settings in addition to the events above:
In case your user is an existing user or customer, kindly ask them to first log in to their account prior to purchasing another course via Stripe to avoid account duplication.