Not too long ago I shared some random elearning facts that you should know. This post is along the same lines, except in relation to mobile learning (often referred to as “mlearning”).
Mobile learning is hot right now, and it will only continue to gain in popularity – as evident by its growth in various sectors, such as in K-12 education.
The mobile learning facts below, originally shared by Vantage Path, further demonstrate the vast use of mobile learning and the expectations in the years to come.
The positive growth of mobile learning is undoubtedly tied to the advancements of mobile technology and their use in everyday life. All the more reason for elearning developers to understand how their courses are displayed on tablets and smartphones.
We certainly live in exciting time for digital learning!
9 Surprising Mobile Learning Facts
- 47% of organizations are now using mobile devices to support formal learning.
- Mobile web usage increased from 11% (2012) to 17% (2013).
- In 2017, it is expected that tablets will outsell PCs and Laptops.
- Game based learning is expected to grow to $2.3 billion in 2017.
- Simulation based learning in corporate settings expected to reach $6.6 billion in 2017.
- 54% of corporations have formalized Bring Your Own Device policies.
- Android devices control 73% of the mobile learning market share.
- In 2014, the average number of connected devices will reach 3.3 billion.
- 78% U.S. white-collar employees use a mobile devices for work purposes.
As you can see, there is big money in the mobile industry, and mobile learning is going to benefit. In many ways, mobile learning is already in place. However, expect it to become more elaborate in the near future as traditional PC driven learning begins to becomes less relevant.